3.17.2009

Rainforest Hike...chasing BOYS...OH MY!

Today we went on a hike. It was originally planned for last week but the rains were very hard and it would have been a bit dangerous for the little ones. We waited til the last minute to see if it was going to be clear enough to head out, and it was!

The day was beautiful. Funny thing about a small island, you would think with it being so small that if it was raining in your backyard and you saw nothing but clouds for as far as you could see, that it was raining everywhere. NOT!

The hike was wonderful. We had intended to go on the "stroller friendly" path and then tell the moms with small kids that the rainforest path was narrow and that they might want to come back and do it without the kids one day. Funny how your plans and plans of young kids, especially young BOYS, can change your perspective.





We started on the path and in a very short time the pace got faster. We were to the edge of the stroller path and the boys literally sprinted through to the rainforest area. My girls were adament about staying with the BOYS! I tried to tell them to hang back because it was narrow and there was to be NO running, but all fell to a deaf ear because I was too far back to be heard!


Cannon was sprinting with me to catch up to the clump of kids and her sisters to explain that we were now so far away from any other grown up that they were now stuck in the clump with me for my own peace of mind. I KNOW the moms behind me were thinking and worried whether thier kids were together or with someone at all.

I was amazed at some of the boys' happiness. One boy was chanting how he was FREE, FREE, there are no brothers I AM FREE!
I later found out that this was one of MY spouse's kids ( a mother of 5 boys) and I knew that she had an infant in a stroller and wasn't one of the moms meeting us at the end point!
AHHHH , how did that happen?





Well, I was so far up the mountain in the middle of a rainforest with 8 kids and was stuck waiting for the rest of the moms so someone could take him back down to his mom.
After the return and gathering of the original group, we went a little further up the path. The kids had such a great time and the view was awesome! Cannon (4yrs) was hanging with the group and never complained. She stepped into the stream, fell on a rock or two, got completely muddy and walked for a total of 3.5 hours. SHE NEVER COMPLAINED!
Everyone was shocked that she hiked the entire trail. This from a girl who was in a body brace for a year! I was really impressed!

Hawaii is awesome and the hike adventure was just one way GOD tells me I am where I am suppose to be right now.

Where else can you be next to a highway, looking at an ocean while standing IN a rainforest???
That was so cool!

It was a little hard to get photos while I was sprinting up the mountain, and the sun was fighting the dark tree areas for light, but I got a few good photos.






The end of the hike was wonderful! The girls were dirty and super happy.

HAWAII ROCKS!

1 comment:

**** April **** said...

YOu guys are making some super memories there. :) I'm glad they have a mom to capture their journey so they can look back on their childhood and actually have PROOF they had a great life. :) (unlike me that doesn't remember a freakin thing)